get_map() Problems w/o Google API

There is a persistent problem with the get_map() function now that the google api is required. Even if you ask for source=”stamen” you still get an error asking for the google api. A fix is to do the following:

library(gstudio)
data(arapat)
coords <- strata_coordinates(arapat)
b1 <- c( left = -114.2935,
         bottom = 23.0757,
         right = -109.1263,
         top=  29.32541)

map <- get_stamenmap( bbox = b1, zoom=7 )
ggmap(map)

Landscape Genetics Workshop 2019

This week I’m in the wonderful town of Glasgow giving a workshop on Applied Landscape Genetics to a wide and interesting population of researchers.

Here is the link to the content. If you are not taking it, you can follow along at your own pace, it is all available under the following CC-SA 4.0 license.

RStudio Server on Ubuntu

Ubuntu server is a nice platform for server-related activities. Here is a short tutorial of how I updated my most current version to the latest available by rstudio.org. Here is how I got it going.

If this is your first install, you need to grab the gdebi stuff

sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

Next download the latest deb from rstudio. I typically like to try out the preview release, often stable enough to get what you want done while at the same time highlighting the latest features. When writing, it was the 1.2.1321 version.

wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/rstudio-ide-build/server/trusty/amd64/rstudio-server-1.2.1321-amd64.deb

Make sure to check the md5sum!

If you already have it running, stop it with

sudo rstudio-server stop

then install the new version

sudo gdebi rstudio-server-1.2.1321-amd64.deb 

This went out and grabbed some other libraries and installed everything for me then turned it back on. Since I had it already installed, that was the end of it. If this is the first time you are installing it, you can configure it following the installation guide here.

Richmond, Virginia